Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4th "American Idol" Preview, Great TV, Under appreciated songs of the day

Hello,

Today is Day 49 of the NFL's Greed out. I'm already sick of hearing the terms "lockout", "appeal", "expedited ruling" and many other words of legalese.

Tonight we are down to the Final Five on "American Idol". It looks like it's going to be another 90 minute episode. Fox's greed knows no limits. Thankfully no more duets tonight. Each contestant will sing a new song and a song from the 60's. That should be really interesting, but now we have to hear Jacob Lusk's singing attempts twice. Also my plea to Lauren, please let your voice go.

That means we have to endure Randy for 90 minutes again. Phrases I predict/know that he will say: "in it to win it", "dawg", "yo", "for me for you", "you know what I love" etc.

Although he used "turned the other cheek" at least twice last week I hope he doesn't use it this week. Here Randy this is what turning the other cheek means: "Turning the other cheek is a phrase in Christian doctrine that refers to responding to an aggressor without violence. The phrase originates from the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament.

In the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says:

You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you". Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

Other TV shows of note: "Castle" was amazing again this week. This show has such great characters and the chemistry is so amazing between Castle and Beckett. But I can't get over how beautiful Stana Katic is. She has a mole on one of her cheeks, which only serves to highlight how gorgeous she is. She has to be one of the most beautiful woman in the world. And that scene where she came walking out of the swimming pool. What straight man could resist this?



Seriously how can a man resist that? I'm hoping though that Castle and Beckett don't get together. Initially it would be good to see that, but that might take away the charm of such a great show. I love how that subtle flirting underscores all their interactions. Their chemistry is based on that mutual attraction that neither seem to be able to bridge the gap. Why mess with a good thing. Two characters getting together has killed a lot of great shows. If, when?, they get together I think that might be where this show jumps the shark. I'd hate to see that as this is one of the very few quality TV shows now.

Last night was also another great episode of "The Good Wife". It's one of the most entertaining and well written shows on TV today. It was a little painful for me to watch Alicia kicking Peter out of their house as it dredged up some bad memories. However those feelings are a lot less painful than they would have been several months ago. Also men when you do get kicked out don't act like Peter. He should know his wife better than to accuse her of sleeping with Will. I'm sure that just confirmed Alicia's thought in kicking him out in the first place. Next week promises an explosive showdown with Kalinda, her alleged "best friend". Peter might have changed, but his sleeping with at least two women outside of the marriage isn't the sign of a good husband. In other words I think she did the right thing. I think she should have left him after the first instance of adultery.

Here's a good barometer for telling where you are in the whole divorce process. Listening to this song, how does it make you feel? Does it make you be in agony? Or can you just listen to it without any divorce memories intruding? Would you "rather hurt than feel nothing at all?". When my ex and I were first separated I couldn't listen to this song without extreme pain. Now I can listen to it and I'm in a much better place. Although I definitely haven't fully recovered. Although I hear a lot of people never fully recover.

This is just a great, great song:



I should be back tomorrow with my review of tonight's "AI" performance show.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites