Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Aftermath of the Utes-TCU

Hello,

I had a chance to go to the BYU-UNLV game yesterday for free, which I gladly accepted. I was able to go with my oldest boy and daughter and we had a fun time. That in spite of this might have been one of the most boring BYU games I've ever gone too. As BYU rolled over hapless UNLV, I had two thoughts going through my head. The first being how bad is UNLV? First of all UNLV gave up 55 points to BYU, who's not a very good team. The only team UNLV beat is the worst team in the nation, New Mexico. The Lobos have coaching issues that are a lot worse than Dallas. That's the team that UNLV beat. If everything breaks right, UNLV could finish at 2-11, yes that's how bad they are. So BYU beating them big doesn't mean a whole lot.

The other thought that was going through my head was about the TCU-Utah game. I was hoping for a Utah victory. This is how my allegiance goes: First, I cheer for BYU, second I cheer for Utah teams and lastly I cheer for teams from local states or teams in the same conference. (It's sort of like the "I Robot" 3 Laws of Robotics.) Clearly with law #2 I was cheering for Utah. The Utes game started about 90 minutes after the BYU game. As scores started rolling in, it looked like it was going to be a long day for the Utes.

I wasn't planning on writing a blog today, but decided to. The thing that mostly spurred this blog is not that the Utes lost 47-7. It's not that the Utes will be dropping in the polls released later today. They'll be lucky if they stay in the Top 15. It's not that the best they can do this season now is to go to the meaningless Las Vegas Bowl and play an opponent they will easily beat. Again thank goodness Utah is leaving the MWC and going to a real conference and all that implies.

No the reason I'm writing is the fact that some Ute fans, probably bandwagon fans, were booing Utah yesterday. I didn't see any of this game, when we got home from BYU the game was out of hand. With me not seeing any of the game there may be mitigating factors to the booing. However to boo your own team for losing to the powerful TCU Horned Frogs? At best that's extremely distasteful. Up to this point the Utes were undefeated and #5 in the BCS standings. Admittedly their schedule was a bit weak, but the Utes don't have much control over that. They started off the season with #15 Pittsburgh. It's not Utah's fault that Pittsburgh has been a mediocre team this season.

Boo your team if they make stupid plays, fine. If they don't play with full effort, fine. If they have a terrible football coach, fine. (Dallas Cowboys I'm looking at you.) But if your team is playing as hard as they can and still losing don't boo. Loyal Ute fans have been through much worst times than this, they'll stick around. This loss should scrape off the Ute bandwagon barnacles. I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Now Utah I want to see you go on the road to historic South Bend and destroy Notre Dame. They weren't a very good team before they lost their starting quarterback then lost to Tulsa. Utah you can still finish the season 12-1 and finish in the Top 10. As a big BYU fan I would take that record in a heartbeat. After Notre Dame, The Utes stay on the road to play 7-2 San Diego State and then will destroy BYU on November 27th. Please Utah don't take your TCU anger out on BYU. Then the lame Las Vegas Bowl in which you will beat the opponent easily in all likelihood.

Then you will be leaving the MWC and their horrid television contract and terrible bowl pairings. You'll be a proud member of the Pac 12. The Utes first game as a Pac-12 member is going to the historic LA Coliseum (home of much of the 1984 Summer Olympics) to play the rebuilding Trojans. Welcome to truly big time college football.

themusicaddict


This is a friend's book, "Wilderness" he's drawing attention to the book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will not get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

No comments:

Favorites