Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Peyton Manning is the Man, Quality TV and what the hell happened to Linkin Park?

This is a friend's book, "Wilderness" he's drawing attention to the book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will not get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

Hello,

Just a couple of quick concerns/ideas: 1) Can we wait a couple of more weeks before we start talking about Christmas? Please! I've already seen Christmas ads on TV. 2) themusicaddict also urges everyone who can to go vote. I'm a little disappointed that Google hasn't altered it's logo any to encompass a voting theme. They altered their logo for John Lennon's birthday, come on which one is more important? themusicaddict won't make any candidate recommendations, unless under very unique circumstances. I did want President Obama to win and pushed for him a bit. But he was an exception. Maybe if Sarah Palin gets the Republican nomination, I would urge people to vote against her. We don't need to have the female version of George W. Bush to be President. She'd probably try to move the White House to Alaska.

Congrats to the San Francisco Giants (yawn) for winning their (yawn) first World Ser (yawn) ies since 1954. This won't go down as a classic World Series and most people will have a hard time remembering who won in a month. I know that comes off as bitter, but it's not suppose to. I was just happy that neither Philadelphia and New York didn't make the World Series.

I watched a bit of the Monday Night Football game last night, Indianapolis vs. the Houston Texans. First of all how good could the Texans be? They are the only team that has lost to the Cowboys. Watching that game last night once again reminded me how important it is to have a great quarterback and at least a decent offensive line. Peyton Manning is a coach on the field. He clearly knows what he's doing. He still has that rocket arm and is nimble enough to get away from a bit of a rush. Watching him at the quarterback position is simply a privilege. It's an awesome experience to see the best in any field perform live. Is there any doubt that he's the best quarterback in the game?

The Colts didn't even have all their weapons at their disposal. Their stud tight end, Dallas Clark, is out for the rest of the season. Then their backup tight end was injured last night, which essentially took the tight end position out of their offense. I enjoyed listening to Jon Gruden explain why that makes such a big difference. Wide receiver Austin Collie is out a few more weeks. Starting running back Joseph Addai is also injured. Those are some key players to not have available.

But led by their amazing quarterback the Colts still scored 30 points, which was more than enough to knock off the Texans. Matt Schaub is a good young quarterback. It's so integral to a team's long term success to have one of those.

Another enjoyable "Hawaii Five-0" last night. This show can be very corny, but there's always entertainment involved. I also like that the show has referenced Pearl Harbor a couple of times. I like a show that's not afraid to throw a little history in with the entertainment. I loved the history that Robert Loggia talked about last night. He talked about the U.S.S. Missouri. A lot of history has occurred on that boat.

Here's President Theodore S. Roosevelt thoughts the day after the Pearl Harbor attacks:



I watched "Blue Bloods" on Comcast On Demand last night. After watching the show a few times it's starting to grow on me. It has a pretty solid cast and good stories. I enjoy the dinner scenes. Of course Bridget Monihayn doesn't hurt either. She looked absolutely stunning in that dress she wore last night. I like the byplay between the characters, typical of any big family. They love each other but that doesn't mean they agree on everything. There's all ages represented in the show so every age demographic viewpoint is represented. Although the police cases seem to be overly dramatic sometimes, for the most part this is a great show. Maybe every case doesn't have to involve people dying.

"The Event" or "Chase" wasn't on TV last night. Did anybody notice? It makes me think of the saying if a tree crashes in the forest does it make a sound? Similarly if no one cares that "The Event" wasn't on last night, does it means it really exists? The more I think about it, the more I hate the show. It features implausible story lines, they are just too stupid. Other than Blair Underwood, as the President, there aren't any characters to root for. Jason Ritter, as Sean, is just not a compelling hero. He's not the kind of person one would follow. And can the bad guys be any dumber? Let's hope that NBC euthanizes this show. I have an idea that can replace the show that is equally smart: a new reality show for Paris Hilton.

Finally, I wanted to listen to some good music that I don't have on my iTunes. For the most part it was a dispiriting experience. One of my favorite Country bands, at least until last night, was Rascal Flatts. I love their songs "These Days" and "Mayberry" plus they have a few other great songs. So I listened to their "Greatest Hits 1" CD last night. Other than a good sleep aide, I can't see any reason for this CD to be in existence. There are so many boring songs on it.

Another CD that severely disappointed me is Linkin Park's new CD, "A Thousand Suns". Where did the angry rock music go? When did Linkin Park become Air Supply? I understand a band wanting to "grow" and to "mature", but this stuff is idiotic. There's no growth or maturity here, just boredom. If anything this is regression. Just because they quote from the Bagvad Vida (I apologize to all that I wasn't able to figure out what the actual title for this book is) that doesn't make their lyrics anymore intelligent. Quoting Nietsche didn't make "Smallville" any more intelligent either. Then the gratuitous f-bombs lower the CD's intelligence even more. Listening to this CD, I feel the testosterone fleeing my body. This CD sucks. Their previous CD, "Minutes To Midnight" is pretty wimpy too.

What happened to the band who sang "Figure .09"? (By the way a great song to exercise to.) Where are the great songs like "One Step Closer", "Papercut", "Points of Authority", "In The End", "Hit The Floor", "Lying From You", "Runaway" and "Faint"?

Thankfully the third CD I listened to last night was the best CD of the night. That's Papa Roach's "Time For Annihilation: On The Record & On The Road". It's essentially a live CD featuring some of their many great songs. Those include "Scars", "Getting Away With Murder", "Between Angels and Insects" and the classic "The Last Resort". Their take on "Last Resort" live is blistering (the language will offend some):



I also like the song "Hollywood Women", unfortunately the word they use is much worse than "women". However that song reminds me too much of the lame Nickelback's lame song "Shakin Hands". Except for Papa Roach's song rocks a lot more. Again the unneeded use of the f-bomb. Is there a certain number of the f-bombs one has to say to "keep it real"? They don't even use that word a lot, but still it seems they say it out of allegiance to a rock cliche more than out of any actual feeling.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites