Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day, Heisman rankings



Above is the iconic picture taken on Iwo Jima by Joe Rosenthal. After a brutal battle the Americans finally captured the island on their way to mainland Japan. If you want to read an amazing book about the above picture read James Bradley's "Flags Of Our Fathers". And if you didn't know what the above picture was, you definitely need to read this book. It will give you just the tiniest amount of insight into all we owe our Veterans.

Hello,

Thanks to all Veterans, both living and dead, for all your sacrifices. Without you and all you've done there would be no America. I don't even want to think what country this would be without all our heroic, inspiring soldiers. I love America, where some idiot in Utah can write about all the things he loves and hates. I love America where idiots like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck can spout off. I love America! THANKS VETERANS!

I didn't go looking for this picture. I saw it when I was looking for the above picture. But this picture combines two things I love: America and beautiful women.



Heisman fan voting:

When I took the poll at http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank?versionId=13&listId=637 this morning this is how the rankings looked. This is the national vote of the public.

* (#1 Votes)Points
* 1 Cameron Newton (2,639) 44,451
* 2 LaMichael James (1,018) 43,697
* 3 Kellen Moore (819) 39,389
* 4 Andrew Luck (134) 34,143
* 5 Andy Dalton (124) 27,870
* 6 Justin Blackmon (421) 26,778
* 7 Denard Robinson (270) 26,244
* 8 Terrelle Pryor (99) 20,783
* 9 Ricky Stanzi (138) 18,100
* 10 Colin Kaepernick (17) 16,476

themusicaddict's rankings and my reasoning:

1. Kellen Moore: Right now Newton is a probably a better overall player, but Moore is going to be a much better pro. I also put him at #1 because I'd rather have him as my quarterback. Also since he plays for a (start the ominous music) "mid-major" I know he's going to get little national respect. Watch him and his Boise State teammates play Friday night on ESPN and see how good he is and they are. I'm on the Boise State bus with Pat Forde.

2. Cameron Newton: The multifaceted Auburn quarterback. He's a great player but he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Allegedly he has cheated on at least two school papers, stealing a computer and lying about it. Then when police go to get the computer, he throws it out the window. Then who knows how much truth there is with him wanting $200,000 to play college football. Again allegedly not only is he cheating, he's not even smart about it. All the previous are allegations, I don't know how much truth there is in any of them. But if he's done half of the things he's said to have done, he shouldn't be playing. I'd hate to have all the things he's done come out completely in a few years (see Reggie Bush). This is a big deal because if Auburn wins out they'll be playing in the BCS National Championship game. If by Newton's alleged actions they're not deserving of that, they could be denying a more worthy BSU or TCU team. Whatever the truth is, let's hope karma takes care of it.

3. LaMichael James: The talented running back for Oregon. He's explosive but he's part of the most prolific offense in the nation. That blur offense is meant to score a lot of points quickly. However how much of James stats are inflated because he's in such a overwhelming offense. I would love to see Oregon's offense against TCU's defense. That would be a battle.

4. Andrew Luck: The Stanford quarterback has been very solid as well. I haven't seen him play, but I wouldn't mind if the Cowboys draft him.

5. Andy Dalton: The TCU quarterback who seems like he has been at TCU for about the last 20 years. A great quarterback and he fits perfectly in that TCU offense. However overall I'm not sure how good he is. I don't expect much from him as a pro. No disrespect to him though as he's a great college quarterback on a great team.

6. Denard Robinson: "Shoelace" He started off on fire, but has cooled down since then. He's still a fun player to watch, but probably not deserving of the Heisman. He's this high because of Michigan's great start and all the national exposure he has received.

7. Ricky Stanzi: The Iowa quarterback has led Iowa to some come from behind victories. Even though he plays in the Big Ten, he doesn't get a whole lot of national respect. Honestly I don't know a whole lot about him.

8. Terrelle Pryor: A quarterback who has been highly touted since his freshman season, I'm not so sure he's deserving of it. He's been hit and miss when I've watched him play. He benefits from playing in the Big 10. I'm not sure if he'd be getting all this exposure if he played for one of those forlorn mid-major teams.

9. Justin Blackmon: Oklahoma State, don't know much about him either.

10.Colin Kaepernick: The Nevada quarterback plays for the nation's most over hyped team. They were exposed in Hawaii and they'll be steamrolled by Boise State. He's the only quarterback I've actually seen in this poll play live. I wasn't impressed by him, Nevada or their lame pistol offense. If I was ESPN I'd put Jake Locker in this slot, although he's been inconsistent.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites