Tuesday, November 16, 2010

iTunes Big Announcement?, Rihanna, Why is the Unabomber on the cover of Rolling Stone?

Hello,

iTunes had a big announcement today. As I speculated yesterday (see below), possibly it was the Beatles finally come to iTunes. That's exactly what it is. I describe my excitement with one word, "yawn". Okay I get that a lot of people grew up with the Beatles and they certainly had some good music. But overall they are over rated. A bad thing about this is every time I go to iTunes they are going to be all over the iTunes front page. To no one's surprise this deal was finally worked out, the money was just too good for everyone involved.

I can think of at least one good thing, this means that Ringo doesn't need to try and earn money. That means no more awful movies or music from him, hey Ringo please spare us the All-Star tours. When I think about the Beatles, I think of the Sesame Street song, "Which One of These Is Not Like the Others?" I actually enjoy the solo work of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Wings more than the Beatles.

Right now I'm listening to Rihanna's new CD, "Loud". My initial reaction after only listening to it once is it's good. However does nearly every song really have to be about sex? On Christina Aguilera's most recent CD, nearly every song was about sex. Do you remember the name of that CD and how many copies did that CD sell? The answers are "Bionic" and not many. Will Rihanna's CD will be a big seller, of course. She has a lot of young people, see people who may have parents that disapprove of sexual lyrics, buying her music. Couldn't she sell more if the CD wasn't r rated. Maybe this is the CD that should have been titled "Rated R".

Another bad thing about this CD is the unneeded collaborations. I know they do this to boost sales and to increase street cred, however I find these unneeded collaborations distracting. Eminem is on the CD, does he make the songs he allegedly raps on better? NO! Also she has a duet with Drake on the song "What's My Name". He lowers the quality of the song. Anyway what is a drake, is that like an Akon? While I have all these questions, why is the Unabomber on the cover of Rolling Stone?



From listening to this CD for my second time, it already has grown on me significantly. I will definitely listen to it a few more times. Although the whole constant sex references turn me off.

Last night another great episode of "Hawaii Five-0". However Danny and Steve were arguing about the merits of New Jersey. I have to agree with Steve, there's not a whole lot positive. They didn't even talk about the "Jersey Shore", of course that would have only weakened Danny's case. But what I would like to specifically comment on is about the great singers of New Jersey. You can't argue with Frank Sinatra or Bruce Springsteen. But is Jon Bon Jovi worthy of classic status? I'd have to say "no". (Sorry Connie.) He/ they had a good mid to late 80's, but only a few good songs since then. I'd rather see them in concert than the Beatles or Nickelback though.

Also yesterday was one of the worst NFL contracts of all-time. The Redskins signed Donovan McNabb to a 5 year, $78 million dollar contract. Why would they sign a 34 year old quarterback for that much money and that length of contract? Again he's 34 and is clearly on the downhill. This is a quarterback that was pulled from a game recently in favor of REX GROSSMAN! This deal has the fingerprints of one of the NFL's most meddlesome owners Daniel Snyder. (Remember the sign of a bad NFL owner is if you know his name.)

How did Donovan McNabb repay the Redskins for their faith in him? He went out and threw 3 interceptions to the Eagles, his former team. As McNabb and the Redskins were stampeded (is there a more appropriate word than stampeded?) by the Eagles at home. Now the loss wasn't McNabb's fault, but his poor play was. He completed 17 of 31 passes for 295 yards with a quarterback rating of 69.4. That's a below average quarterback rating. McNabb defenders would say, but the weather was terrible. That's true. However McNabb's counterpart, Michael Vick, had a quarterback rating of 150.7. A perfect quarterback rating is 158.6. And how much is Washington paying McNabb again? How smart does Philadelphia look now for trading him?

Although espn.go.com's Matt Mosley is reporting this morning:

"One of the contract's most significant points is a payment due this offseason, when the Redskins must decide whether or not to pay McNabb a $10 million option bonus. If they do, it would trigger the rest of the contract and make Washington liable for McNabb's $2.5 million base salary in 2011.

So in essence, the Redskins paid McNabb $3.75 million in 2010 for the right to pay him $12.5 million in 2011 and control his rights. If the Redskins cut him after this season or trade him, they are only on the hook for the $3.75 million.

Boiled down, the deal's real guarantee is $3.5 million, though if McNabb suffered a catastrophic injury this season and never played again, he would receive $25 more million."
(Thanks to espn.com and Matt Mosley. Mosley is one of my favorite writers.)

That gives more credit to the Redskins than I'd given them. But still it's insane to throw that much money around for McNabb. There's not too many quarterbacks worth that much money. The deserving quarterbacks would be Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and possibly Drew Brees. There may be other quarterbacks deserving of that much money, but I can't think of any more now. No either Eli Manning or Tony Romo is deserving of that much money. In a recent SI poll, both Eli Manning and Romo were voted as two of the most over rated NFL players. I completely agree with that.

Also I've noticed that my blog is getting a little more mean spirited than I would like. There are just some things like Nickelback and "The Event" that I like to keep people away from. I'm going to try and go back to writing more about the things I like rather than the things I dislike. I apologize to anyone that I may have offended.

Upcoming: I promise more of my Top 50 is coming soon. I've had plenty to write about lately. Let me let you in on a little secret of blogs/ TV shows etc, if you ever see one it's only a time or space filler. It's a way to still post or show something without doing too much work.

We've worked our way to the #23 band in my Top 50 countdown. Not trying to take anything from the Beatles, but the next two upcoming bands are truly great bands from England. One of those bands is up and one band is down from my first Top 50 list.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites