Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You Definitely need to read "One Day"!

Hello,

One DayOne Day by David Nicholls
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


July 15th, 1988 Page 35: I started reading this charming novel, which receives praise from Nick Hornby. "One Day" tells about the lives of two people, Dexter Mayhew and Emma Morely, on the same day each year, July 15th from 1988 to 2007. Obviously the question is will they or won't they get together. Normally I would predict yes, but with this book who knows. The movie is currently filming with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess. Yeah I don't know who Jim Sturgess is either, but Anne Hathaway is a great actress. Ok so she's hot too!

I anticipate I'll read through this book quickly.

July 15th, 1992 Page 103: I'm really enjoying this book. I just wish that the main male protagonist, Dexter Mayhew, wasn't so one dimensional. The rich playboy with only one thing on his mind. He gets by on superficial charm and good looks. He even manages to snag a TV show with no discernible talent in anything besides self promotion. However Emma, the smarter of the two and the main female protagonist, is stuck in a low end job. She's wasting her life away, both desiring but also slightly disgusted with Dexter. Will they eventually get together? I'm leaning towards yes now, but I don't think Dexter deserves her. He deserves to be with the shallow Euro trash he spends most of his time with already.

July 15th, 1993 Page 154: Dexter continues to be a skank and he seems to be deteriorating. His Mom wonders if he's a good person anymore. No Mom he's not. Emma getting together with Ian Whitehead (I just think of the most nasty zit one has ever seen every time I see his name) either comes across as unbelievable or complete desperation on Emma's part. Will Dexter and Emma eventually get together? Doubtful.

July 15th, 1994 Page 181: Emma Morley continues to grow as a person. I just don't really see her getting together with Ian Whitehead. I love the names in this book and think they a good hint to a person's character. Although Dexter is becoming a bigger star, as a person his life is a complete shambles. He's sort of like a pop culture Glenn Beck, obnoxious, opinionated and difficult to ignore. He's a car wreck, you don't want to look but you can't look away at the same time. Will Emma and Dexter get together? It remains doubtful.

July 15th, 1995 Page 213: Dexter continues to be a waste of a human being. He and his superficial girlfriend Suki Meadows remain annoying. I think Emma truly is beginning to realize how shallow he is. Emma continues in her unbelievable relationship with the zit Ian Whitehead. He's like one of those whitehead zits that appears on your upper lip one morning and you need to take care of it as soon as possible. That's what Emma needs to do with him. Although Ian isn't a bad person, he's not really what Emma wants. So far in this book she's a loser magnet.

She's not in love with zit boy and she seems to be looking for an escape strategy. As well as she should. Will Emma and Dexter eventually get together? Let's hope not and let's hope she breaks up with Ian soon. Whatever you do Emma, don't marry Ian.

July 15th, 1998 Page 262: Emma keeps on making poor relationship choices. She finally breaks up with the aptly named Ian Whitehead (I wonder what poor schmuck is playing him in the currently filming movie.) But then she takes up with her boss, Mr. Godalming. He's slightly better as a person and paramour but is also married. Meanwhile Dexter is no longer with Suki Meadows and has traded up for the lovely Slyvie. A beautiful women who is very intelligent and doesn't put up with Dexter's crap. He absolutely loves her. That's exactly what he needs if he can't hook up with Emma. This is a novel about people making bad choices in relationships. Also the one day of each year in catching up on the relationship started out like a noble experiment, but it's now getting a bit tired. Will Dexter and Emma get together, I'm still hoping not.

Page 349: Emma and Dexter finally get together on July 15th, 2001. Are we meant to be hoping for that? I don't know that we are. It's great for Dexter, but not so great for Emma. To me this goes down as another poor choice by her in men. Also do I find it believable, not really. Do I think it will last? Are you kidding, this relationship has the lifespan of a mayfly. To be consistent with Emma I think she needs to dump him soon, for instance July 16th, 2001. To be consistent with Dexter's character, or lack thereof, who hasn't learned anything about maintaining a stable relationship. True to Dexter's personality, he'll give into temptation of another woman soon. Will they stay together? Please no. That's my thought but the author may have other ideas.

I finished this book last night. I've given away enough spoilers, I won't give away any more. There's just a surprising development near the end of the book. It's an absolute punch in the gut. Overall I would give this book a thumbs up. Anyone who likes good fiction I would recommend this book to them. I got turned off by the story only taking place on 1 day each year. But Nicholls did handle that aspect pretty cleverly. This is a book for adults only.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Favorites