Thursday, November 4, 2010

Great Songs, "High Fidelity", More of the Top 50: 31 to ?

Hello,

Last night thanks to the library I was able to watch "High Fidelity" based on the good book by Nick Hornby. Hornby is a very good author, very charming and witty. I have his same intense love for music and am equally mystified by women as I am. I also enjoyed his book about the Arsenal Football Club, which is my EPL team. Go Gunners!

Anyway I was glad that the movie retained many of the charms of the book. John Cusack is great in this movie, surrounded by an excellent cast. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Tim Robbins, Lily Taylor, the gorgeous Lisa Bonet (we need to see more of her) and Jack Black. I'm not a big Jack Black fan, but in this role he's hilarious. He plays the part perfectly and doesn't go over the top as he sometimes can. I'm not quite the compulsive list maker that Rob Gordon is. I would definitely suggest you read both the book and the movie. My only complaint is the unneeded and overused f-bomb. That word doesn't enhance the quality of either book or movie. In fact for me, and millions others, it detracts.

Whatever happened to Iben Hjejle? She played Gordon's girlfriend Laura.

Here are some great songs:

This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. This is BellX1's "Eve, The Apple Of My Eye".



Which reminded me of this beautiful and heartbreaking Dire Straits' song "Romeo and Juliet":



One of the all-time greatest songs, this is probably a Top 100 song:



It made me think of this great song:



A song that I heard this morning exercising, I realized how great of a song it is:



Continuing themusicaddict's Top 50 countdown: 30) Billy Idol, he's down 6 notches from my first Top 50 and I have 59 songs of his on my iTunes. Idol is the rare artist, in fact I can't think of anyone else, whose best work is his latter music. He had a lot of great songs back in the day. However his last non Greatest Hits CD, "The Devil's Playground" is by far his best CD. You really need to check it out. I also did see Billy Idol in concert, he was okay. The opening act was the hot at the time Faith No More. Here are a selection of his songs, including some some songs from "The Devil's Playground".

Here's a couple of the better songs from "The Devil's Playground":

"Romeo's Waiting"



"Summer Running"



Just one more song from his most recent CD and then I'll put some classics on here:

"World Comin' Down":



"Rebel Yell" live. Turn it up. I love the looks the band members share during this performance.



Get ready to have your butt kicked, "White Wedding" live:



"Dancing With Myself":



"Blue Highway":



This is a friend's book, "Wilderness" he's drawing attention to the book he has written. Check it out on facebook. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=304984697029 He describes the book as: "I've written a novel called “Wilderness” which I'm sending out to agents (think "Calvin and Hobbes" written by Neil Gaiman)" He also says "one who friends the group will not get any messages from me, they will just be helping a young aspiring novelist." I think that's a worthy cause.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites