Friday, November 12, 2010

More Top 50 artists: Neil Young, Pink

Hello,

25) Neil Young: He's dropped 16 spots from my first Top 50, I have 85 of his songs on my iTunes. Neil Young is a Canadian born singer/songwriter, a voice for many generations. Also today is Neil Young's birthday, Young is 65. Happy Birthday Neil and thanks for all the great music! Young is also an environmentalist of the highest order. He also does a lot of charity work, behind such organizations as Farm Aid and The Bridge School. I don't know if I'd ever want to meet him, he has an extremely cranky reputation. He has a semi-official biography that I plan on reading one day: "Shakey" by Jimmy McDonough.

There's no way I could put all his great songs on my blog, here's a selection of some though. My all-time favorite Neil Young song, an absolute classic. "Heart of Gold":



This song seems appropriate, although I realize he's singing this song to an "old man".



Another classic, "Rockin' In The Free World":



Another great song, "Piece of Crap":



I love the brief applause. This song was a song he's born to sing. His voice fits perfectly behind the tone and sentiment of the song. "Ohio":



"Sleeps With Angels", sorry for the Kurt Cobain picture. Compare and contrast, one of the greatest singers of all time vs. one of the most over rated.



Another classic, "Cowgirl In The Sand":



24) Pink: She's up 25 places in this poll. I have 39 of her songs on my iTunes. She's releasing her new CD "Greatest Hits...So Far!!!" November 16th. The queen of bad girl/ girl power songs. There are also rumors that she's pregnant. Maybe the wild child is settling down a bit. I saw her in concert when she was just starting out and she was pretty good. I love her new, new song: "Fn' Perfect". I just couldn't include it here as I hate the f bomb.

Pink goes retro as Rosie the Riveter in "Raise Your Glass":



"Please Don't Leave Me":



Pink singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" Um, okay:



"Highway To Hell" and "Bad Influence":



One of her all-time best songs, "Don't Let Me Get Me":



Unlike Nickelback, Pink knows how to pick what songs to cover. I had the misfortune of seeing Nickelback about 3 weeks ago and they suck. If Nickelback was a TV show, they'd be "The Event". Anyway Pink rules and she covers Aerosmith, Janis Joplin, Queen, AC/DC and here's Led Zeppelin: "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You":



This song was supposedly about her and Carey Hart's relationship as they were divorcing. Then they got back together and now she's possibly pregnant. Yeah you never know how things are going to work out. Anyway here's "Funhouse":



Although the sound is terrible in this video, the power and the rawness of her voice comes out. One more great cover, Guns 'N' Roses "Welcome To The Jungle":



"Get This Party Started":



Enjoy, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites