Thursday, December 16, 2010

Three minutes!

Hello,

As much as I can I like to watch TV either On Demand or through a DVR. I can avoid all those annoying commercials. While watching "The Good Wife" on DVR the other day, I realized how long the commercials are. Commercials usually run 3 to 3.5 minutes straight. Driving home I started thinking about all the things that can be done in three minutes.

1) Have sex.
2) Go to the bathroom, both 1 and 2.
3) An elite runner can run over 3/4ths of a mile.
4) Madonna and Justin Timberlake can almost save the world:



5) I can list all the good songs by Nickelback several times.
6) Watch highlights of any sporting event.
7) Read a chapter of scripture.
8) Order a Christmas gift at amazon.com.
9) I can get a sense of a person and whether I want to be friends with them.
10) Get a snack.
11) Think about many of the things I'm thankful for, there are many things.
12) Put a book on hold at the library.
13) Pray


I guess my point is why do they have such a long run of commercials at one time? If I'm watching a TV show live, and a long set of commercial starts all I do is flip to a sporting event. That's something you can do with a sporting event. Also when a string of commercials run that long, how many of them do you remember? If I see a set of 7 straight commercials, I'd be surprised if I could tell someone 2 or 3 of the advertisers just a few minutes later. That 3 minutes is a good time to get up, get a snack, go to the bathroom or anything else on the list above.

It surprises me that big business hasn't caught on to this, but on the other hand intelligence in corporate America is hard to find.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites