Monday, December 13, 2010

Michael Jackson's "Michael" Should You Buy?

Hello,

Tomorrow is the release date for the new Michael Jackson CD, it's simply called "Michael". Like with Crystal Bowersox, I'm a big a Michael Jackson fan. I know he had his issues, but don't we all? The CD lasts over 42 minutes, and has some songs that will be considered greatest hits in a few years.

You can listen to the CD now at michaeljackson.com. Here's the exact link: http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/music/michael

1) "Hold My Hand" (3:33): This song features Akon, I'm not sure why though. This is the kind of song you hate until you meet someone who takes your breath away. Then when you are with them, you want this song to come on the radio. The first time I heard this song I didn't like it, after hearing it a few times, I'm really liking it. I'm just not sure Auto Tune Akon is on the song. 50 Cent actually adds something to the song he's on, "Monster".

2) "Hollywood Tonight" (4:31): This song starts out like an Enigma song. Then it brings the funk. A good girl is going "Hollywood Tonight". I'm not sure if this is suppose to be a song of defiance, but it comes off as more sad than anything else.

3) "Keep Your Head Up" (4:51): A ballad about person going through a hard time and Jackson singing how to deal with it. A good song but it tends to go on a bit long. Jackson was an amazing artist but sometimes he stretched his songs out too long.

4) "(I Like) The Way You Love Me" (4:34): We hear Michael Jackson instructing someone how he wants the song to sound which moves into the song. I'm glad they aren't doing that on every song, but on one song, it's sort of cool.

5) "Monster" (5:05): This song features 50 Cent. I like this song, I just wish it could have been a bit more funky. As with Jay Z on "Umbrella", 50 Cent's rap works with this song. That's a rare occurrence. I think the worst example of that is Eminem's rap attempt on "I Love The Way You Lie".

6) "Best of Joy" (3:03) : This is a beautiful love ballad, it has a very Stevie Wonder vibe to it. He sings this song with such beauty and feeling.

7) "Breaking News" (4:14): This song starts off with talking heads explaining the latest Michael Jackson scandal that leads into a funky beat. A sound like breaking glass and then goes on a funk explosion. This is one of my favorite songs on the whole CD. I would say this song is worthy of classic Michael Jackson status. This is a companion song to "Tabloid Junkie", which is from the "HIStory Greatest Hits" CD.

8) "(I Can't Make It) Another Day" (3:55). This song features Lenny Kravitz. This song starts out as a mid-tempo jam and then kicks up another notch for the chorus. Kravitz is on this song, we can hear him in the background. He's the one in the background singing repeatedly, "I Can't Make It Another Day". I'm sorry but his part isn't crucial either.

9) "Behind The Mask" (5:02): The song starts off with concert noise. This is another great song, thankfully unencumbered by a guest artist. I don't know if this is a compliment or a complaint, but all these songs remind me of previous Michael Jackson songs. Maybe not the music

10) "Much Too Soon" (2:48): A nice CD closing ballad. It won't be the classic that "She's Out Of My Life" is, but it's a nice song to close this CD on.

Is this the new "Thriller", "Bad" or "Off The Wall", no this isn't. Is this a perfectly good CD that won't tarnish Jackson's legacy? Yes it is. Is it worth your hard earned money? The bigger of a Michael Jackson fan you are, the closer to yes the answer is. I think Michael Jackson was a musical genius and I'm a big fan. (He's coming up soon on my Top 50 artists of all-time.) Am I going to buy this CD? Yes, this will sound great on my car's awesome stereo.

I'm giving this CD a B grade, but I anticipate that grade will go up over the years. There's a lot of creativity on this CD. Did having all the guests really help, I would say no. They were mostly brought on to help the sales of this CD.

I'm currently working on my year end lists. If you have any nominations please send them to me.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites