Sunday, December 12, 2010

BYU Basketball is Real?, I'm still not sure., Sham Newton wins Heisman

Hello,

Welcome to blog #702 of themusicaddict blog.

I watched part of the game between BYU-Arizona last night. Although the game was officially a home game for BYU, it was played in the Energy Solutions Arena. I thought with the Wildcats being humiliated in their own home last season, they would give BYU everything the Cougars could want. I was wrong, Arizona was down by 19 at halftime and the Cougars coasted to victory.

Pre-season All American Jimmer Fredette was on fire against Arizona last season, he scored 49 points and was 9 for 13 on three pointers. This year Arizona slowed him down a bit, holding him "only" to 33 points. He sat down with about 6 minutes left in the game with the Cougars coasting.

BYU is now 10-0, for the second time in three years. Next BYU goes on the road to play the mediocre 4-4 UCLA Bruins. They have a mediocre record, but they are still UCLA. That means BYU needs to give them respect.

Now in being honest I think that the Cougars could advance to the Sweet 16 this season, if the brackets break right. With Fredette, the Cougars have that player that can create his own shot. He also has several quality players surrounding him, he doesn't need to be a one man team.

BYU also has their bowl game next Saturday, playing UTEP in the Are You Kidding Me Bowl? I'm not sure if that's the official name of the bowl.

Then to no one's surprise and to the dread of themusicaddict, Sham Newton was voted this season's Heisman Award winner. John is spinning in his grave even as I write this. I hoped the Heisman Trust did a backup vote, not including Sham in that voting. That way when this award is withdrawn, they'll be able to give it to the real winner. I don't think this season's Heisman should be vacated, but given to the true winner.

I don't want to take away anything from his as a player, he's a great talent. I could see him having a Michael Vick impact. However his moral character leaves a lot to be desired, much like Vick as well.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites