Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Top 10 All-Time American Idols: # 10 Alexis Grace (Updated 10/12/12)

Hello,

I worked on this blog over a few days and have finished for now. I unfortunately wasn't able to finish on Thursday as I was very busy at work. I thought while watching these videos I should add them to my blog as I saw songs that I like. These are just great songs that I've stumbled across.

Here's my Top Ten "American Idols" of all-time. This list only covers through the first 10 seasons. By the end of the 10th season I was burnt out. I didn't see much, if any, of Season 11. From how little I've heard about that season's top 5 contestants, it doesn't sound like I missed out on much.

Here's what I used as my criteria to establish my top ten. First of all how they actually did on the show. Second is their after "Idol" career. Third is their pop factor. The pop factor being defined as what kind of reaction one has when you think of one of the contestants. Pop also includes how memorable they were to me. For instance, Alexis Grace has a very high pop factor. She finished 11th on Season 8, but is # 8 on my list. Also how much I like a contestant factors into this list as well. (In other words Danny Gokey, Adam Lamebert and the horrible Jacob Lusk  have no chance.) Also no chance for contestants who I can't even remember. For instance, Aaron Kelly won't be on this list. I had to dig deep in my memory to remember who he is.

I'll announce one contestant each day, depending on my available time. For a show that was so successful for 10 years, so few have made a pop culture impact once their season was over. My top 7 was pretty easy to come up with, but I struggled with finding people worthy of the 8th to 10th place.

Here are the 21 semi-finalists in no particular order. The number in the parenthesis is the season they were on "American Idol". Syesha Mercado (7), Megan Joy (8), Alexis Grace (8), Tamyra Gray (1), Melinda Doolittle (6), Pia Toscano (10), Siobhan Magnus (9), Allison Iraheta(8), Crystal Bowersox (9), Amanda Overmyer (7), Carly Smithson (7), David Cook (7), Jordin Sparks (6), Katharine McPhee (5), Jennifer Hudson (3), Kimberly Locke (2), Haley Reinhart (10), Kelly Clarkson (1), Chris Daughtry (5), Matt Giraud (8) and Carrie Underwood (4).

Two quick observations. With four people on this list from Season 7, it seems that might have been my favorite season. However I'm not sure about, but that might have been the last great season. And yes I've noticed the dominance of female performers. There are 3 men in the semifinalists, but two of them are in my Top 5.

Without further adieu, here's my number 10 idol, Alexis Grace. She finished 11th place on Season 8. She was beat out by such people as Lil Rounds, Michael Sarver and Gokey. The top three as voted on by mostly female voters were Kris Allen, Lamebert and Gokey. That was the same year that those 3 somehow beat out Allison Iraheta. I'm still irritated by that. Lamebert is easily the most successful from that season and he even has a couple of good songs. However for the most part he bores me. He's like Mitt Romney to me in that it seems he was concocted in a lab.

Using my formula to come up with this Top Ten list. Grace only finished in 11th place in Season 8, which I thought was ridiculous. It just show the bias of the mostly female voters, not the true talent of Grace. She has had almost no post-Idol success. So how did she end up at #10? Again her pop factor and her likability. Also because of performances like the following.

Alexis Grace "Dirty Diana":



"Walking In Memphis":



For my #10 ranking it was basically down between Grace and Allison Iraheta. Here are a few of Iraheta's highlights:

Allison Iraheta's "Give In To Me":



"I Can't Make You Love Me":



I loved Iraheta's twist on this classic Donna Summer disco song:



"Someone To Watch Over Me":



Here are some other assorted highlights of past Idols.

Megan Joy, not only gorgeous but I love her voice. This is her singing "Trouble Me". (T Bone Burnett, this song would be perfect on "Nashville".)



That song and "When It Turns" are both from her CD she just released this summer. The CD is self-titled.



My favorite performance of hers from "American Idol", "Black Horse and A Cherry Tree":



Syesha Mercado "One Rock And Roll Too Many": (Randy Jackson and Paula Abdul are such bad judges.)



Syesha Mercado's "Believe":



Carly Smithson's "Jesus Christ Superstar":



Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats":



Carrie Underwood's "Good Girl":



Katharine McPhee "Brand New Key":



Jordin Sparks "Battlefield":



Jordin Sparks amazing cover of "I Will Always Love You":



Yes I know that the closest that Whitney Houston got to "American Idol" was her songs being sung on the show. However I love Whitney Houston and I'm so sad she's no longer with us. RIP Whitney!



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites