Thursday, October 4, 2012

Will "Arrow" Be Any Good?, "Chicago Fire", "Nashville"

Hello,

Tonight is the second episode of "Last Resort". I know it's early for this show, but I think tonight's episode could already be a make or break episode. "Last Resort" will either be fantastic or it's going to be terrible. I probably won't see it tonight as I'll be watching the USC-Utah game. That game could get ugly real fast if the Utes aren't mentally prepared.

On Wednesday, October 10th there are three different shows that will have their premieres. Those shows are "Chicago Fire", "Nashville" and "Arrow".

Originally I thought only two of those shows premiering October 10th looked interesting. "Chicago Fire" and "Nashville" both look like they have a chance to be really good shows. However in the last couple of days, a third show has been added to that list. Also debuting October 10th is "Arrow". I have to admit when I first heard about this show I dismissed it immediately. However after seeing some of the previews, I have to admit that I've become intrigued by it.

Now the show is going to be on the CW, whose shows usually look cheaply made. And the plot seems to be about the Arrow getting back against former enemies. In other words, similar to most super hero movies. It looks like it has some potential to be good, but will it be? I may have to watch it and find out. Here's the trailer:



"Chicago Fire" trailer



Thanks to my friends at Comcast On Demand I was able to watch the season premiere of "Chicago Fire". They had it one week before it's television premiere.  This show is from Dick Wolf, who made all those great "Law & Order" series.

My initial thoughts about "Chicago Fire". It started out a bit slow, but finished strongly. It can be a good show, but it must stay away from cliches. One would expect that fires would be pretty exciting. But by about the third fire the firefighters responded to I was bored. For a show like this to succeed for me, it's all about the relationships and chemistry. (It's the relationships in shows like "Rizzoli and Isles" and "Castle" that set those shows apart for me. Both shows have strong casts full of great characters. Also with both of those shows, I know that I'll laugh each episode.) If I care about the characters I will tune in and watch to see what happens with them. I love seeing Monica Raymund, Dana Lodge from "The Good Wife", in "Chicago Fire". Let's just hope the Gabriela Dawson character is as interesting as Dana Lodge. According to wikipedia.org Raymund is only appearing in three episodes. Hmm.

I also like Lauren German as paramedic Leslie Shay. Previously I've written about her amazing green eyes. I wrote that blog nearly a year ago, on October 11th, 2011. I love green eyes!



Shows like these always have characters with problems. However there are a couple of problems that bore me. Any storyline with drugs or gambling gets old quickly. What new way can those over used story ideas become interesting? We've seen that story before and probably done better. Lt. Severide (Taylor Kinney) is involved in the drug story line. He's also involved in an antagonistic relationship with Lt. Casey.

The on again, off again relationship between Lt. Casey and Dr. Casey could be interesting. Again it has  to stay away from familiar story lines. So far both characters seem likable. Can they keep it up and can their relationship remain interesting? If they are constantly breaking up and getting back together that could get boring quickly.

How did they get Rahm Emanuel to appear in the show? Can they get Brian Urlacher and other well known Chicago personalities?

"Nashville":



"Nashville" looks like it could be very good. A show with Connie Britton and Hayden Panettiere will at least have sufficient eye candy. (One of my most visited blogs is the babes of "Friday Night Lights", featuring of course the lovely Ms. Britton.) From the previews it looks like the story is a bit similar to "Phantom of the Opera". It's an older singer  holding on to her career vs. the hot young singer. In the preview the Britton character even refers to the Panettiere character as an ingenue. (That's intentional right?)

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites