Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Walking Dead" Season 3 Amazing Premiere "Seed"

Hello,

I've been so busy that I completely forgot to write about the great Season 3 premiere of "The Walking Dead". The episode is titled "Seed" and was honestly outstanding. It's a great, great episode in almost every way. I love the zombie killing, but without a great story behind it would just be lame. Also other than Lori's whining, we didn't have to put up with any boring speeches. (Is that what's causing all the problems for "Revolution" to being a great show? All the world losing power is a great, original idea but so far the execution has been terrible. One more aside: From the first episode of "Lost" I completely bought in.)

"Dead" seems to be realistic in it's portrayal of how life in a zombie infested world could be. I love the contrast at the beginning of the episode of a nearly deserted house to the prison full of zombies. From them on the run constantly to them finding the seeming safety of a prison. I could clearly feel their relief when they stumbled across the prison. I love the irony of the prison as a place of refuge and relative safety. Safety is always relative in a Zombie Apocalypse. And in "The Walking Dead" nothing is what it seems to be. Also pure genius is that they encountered the zombies that still had their riot gear on. This show really does well when it thinks a bit outside of the box. They also noticed some of the dead zombies had their legs chewed or cut off. Zombies don't eat their own, so why did the dead zombies have body parts missing? That's the kind of detail I noticed, but didn't think anything of, until they discovered the other survivors. That's one of the questions I'm most interested in is how did those 5 prisoners survive for about a year with being stuck in one place? Did they eat dead zombies or other prisoners? Were they Mormon prisoners and had a year's supply of food stored up?

I've actually got to a place where I've began to like Hershel. At first I hated how sanctimonious he was. It always bothered me how his farm seemed to be safe in a would overrun with zombies. Hershel isn't meant for leadership in the new world zombie order. But at the end of season 2 he turned into Master Zombie Killer. Now he's taking orders from Rick and the speeches seem to have gone away. Hershel is also looking good with his beard. I felt his loss when he lost his leg and maybe more. That's usually a sign that a character is on his way off the show. I do wonder about the zombie that seemed to be playing dead until it could took a big bite out of Hershel's leg. Are all the zombies evolving or is it just a few? With him being the only doctor on the show, who's going to deliver Lori's baby? Is it bad to hope she dies in childbirth?

How can I not mention Michonne? She's the butt kicking blade expert. What is her purpose of having the two zombie pets I wonder. How does she kept them fed? The pets seemed to have accepted their fate. I realize that I'm giving intelligence to two zombies that mainly rely on instinct. However a zombie may not have much of a learning curve, but they still would learn I would expect. They did survive winter after all. Michonne is hanging out with Andrea. It seems like they could be a formidable team win Andrea gets healthy. She was rounding into a master zombie killer at the end of season two. She's probably earning her PHd with Michonne.

With the other survivors seeming stationary at the prison, I like that there will be the Michonne and Andrea story occurring simultaneously. The first half of Season 2 was horrible with them looking for the female character I'd like to forget. It seems "The Walking Dead" has learned that lesson, stationary is death. Let's be honest people don't watch this show for the insights of Hershel or the "great" acting of Sarah Wayne Cailles. I'd wondered how Season 3 was going to incorporate both the Governor and Michonne this season, episode 1 explains that.

I've mentioned several times how much Lori, as played by Cailles, hurts this show. "Dead" continues to be dragged down by the whiny Lori Grimes. She's played terribly by Cailles. A terrible actress playing a terribly whiny character. How has she not been killed off, she doesn't add anything to the show. She nearly was the only weak link in this episode. Lori had two main scenes in this episode and both were terrible. When the camera closed in on her I just knew there was about to be some whining. I dread her giving birth, especially if Hershel doesn't live. I just see her normal terrible acting, only intensified.

The whole potential relationship between Beth and Carl is also a bit creepy. The light may be on for Beth, but no one is home. It also makes me laugh that the survivors are all grimy, but their hair always looks great.

But this show and "The Good Wife" give me two reasons to watch TV every Sunday night. This show has had two consecutive amazing episodes, will it keep it up. Kirkman et al. let me give you a hint, don't focus 6 episodes on a character we could care less about.

Speaking of Zombies, please don't vote for Mitt Romney.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites