Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May 7th, 2013: What A Great Day For New Country Music!

Hello,

I would like to thank Spotify for giving me the ability to listen to all 3 of these CDs.

There's not many times when 3 high profile country albums come out on the same day. I'm not a big country music listener so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe I'm only noticing today because they are 3 high profile albums to me. The 3 CDs are Natalie Maines "Mother", Lady Antebellum's "Golden" and The Music of Nashville Original Soundtrack Volume 2. From just a listen or two I'm surprised that my favorite of the 3 CDs are Natalie Maines "Mother".

Here are some of the best songs from "Mother". It seems I'm not the only one who went through a Pink Floyd phase recently. Obviously the song "Mother" is a cover of one of the many classic songs from Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

Since "Mother" just came out today, I can't find Maines solo version of the song "Mother". The closest I could find is this version with Ben Harper. I actually like this version better than the version on her new CD.



Again I can't find the Natalie Maines "Silver Bell" version on Youtube, here's Patty Griffin's version. I honestly like Maine's version better than this one:



Natalie Maine's "Free Life":



While overall "Mother" is my favorite of the 3 CDs, the Nashville Original Soundtrack has better individual songs. This is my favorite song on all 3 CDs:

Well at least this is the place where I'd put Sam Palladio's "Gun For A Mouth" if it was available on Youtube now. Youtube is really letting me down today.

"Fade Into You" was on a much earlier episode of "Nashville" and maybe that's why it's available now. This is Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio singing:



Every time I think I'm going to finally like Hayden Pantierre's "Nashville" character Juliet Barnes, she does something stupid. One of the things I hate the most about her character is how she'll sleep with anyone and she usually picks some real losers. I realize this show has now fully embraced being a soap opera. But everyone sleeping with everyone else is boring and lazy storytelling. Don Draper sleeping with everyone is the main reason I stopped watching "Mad Men". I got sick of Draper having affairs. I know the man is a horndog, but Draper has so many other personality quirks to explore. Come on "Nashville" (and "Mad Men") you need to up your game!

Barnes has been given some good songs to sing and one of them is "Hypnotizing":



This is the Sarah Buxton version of "Nothing In This World Will Ever Break My Heart Again", sung by Hayden Panettiere on "Nashville":



The following songs are from Lady Antebellum's "Golden". My first impression of this CD is that it's very mediocre. The title song is dreadfully boring. While listening to this song on Spotify "Just A Kiss" played and that's so much better than any song on this CD. I still consider myself a big Lady A fan, this CD just isn't as good as their previous work. There are a couple of good songs on here, one of them is "Get To Me":



Another one of the better, but still not amazing, songs on this CD is "Nothin' Like The First Time". I'll have to admit this song is growing on me a bit.



Although I do like "It Ain't Pretty", it's a bit derivative of "Need You Now". Too many of the songs on "Golden" are derivative of better Lady Antebellum songs. Maybe they can expand the topics they sing about. Again I'm trying so hard to not be negative on this blog. I really love how good Hillary Scott's voice sounds on this song.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites