Monday, May 13, 2013

themusicaddict's Chicago Sports Update May 13th, 2013: Go Red Wings!

Hello,

This is a blog that I never thought that I would write, but here goes. The genesis of this blog came this  morning while watching SportsCenter. I realized how many Chicago sports related teams are playing now that I'm interested in, whether I'm cheering for or against them.

1) The Red Wings were able to eliminate the #2 seeded Anaheim Ducks last night and advance to the second round of the playoffs. The Red Wings were powered by goals by Henrik Zetterberg, Justin Abdeldaker (my favorite hockey name) and Valtteri Flippula. Jimmy Howard had 31 saves, some of which were incredible.

What does this have to do with Chicago you may be wondering. The Red Wings next play the Chicago Blackhawks, the Western Conference's # 1 seed. Chicago won all 4 matches against the Red Wings during the regular season. Chicago was able to dispatch of their first round opponent Minnesota 4-1. The Blackhawks will be rested, have home ice advantage and probably are the better team. Honestly I don't follow hockey much, but based on what I just wrote it's obvious the Blackhawks are going to be the big favorite. Detroit-Chicago begins Wednesday.

The Red Wings need to take a page from the Bulls second round series, they need to go into the opponents home and steal game 1. However after that the Red Wings need to not copy anything more from the Bulls.

I also finally figured out the answer to my own hockey question from the other day. I wondered why there is an intermission between the end of the third period and overtime. I realized it's for the zamboni to come out and smooth the ice. I realized that when I heard one of the announcers talk about the choppy ice.

2) Tonight is Game 4 of the Heat-Bulls series. Just like I'll be cheering for the Red Wings, in the NBA playoffs I'm cheering for the opponent of the Chicago team. Unless the Bulls make a full recovery, i.e. Derrick Rose and Kirk Hinrich play, I anticipate very little drama in the remainder of this series. I didn't mention Luol Deng because of the complications from his spinal tap. I hope he makes a quick and full recovery. The Bulls might win one more game, but I expect the Heat to wrap up this series in 6 games at the most. If it wasn't for the Bulls miraculous win in Game 1, the Heat would be going for the sweep tonight.

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau was fined $35,000 for comments he made following Game 3 of the series. Among other things he said "I see how things are going, I watch very closely. We're not going to get calls, that's reality." He further said that LeBron James flopped when Nazr Mohammed pushed him. That didn't look like a flop to me, Mohammed is a big man. The fact is that Mohammed should have never pushed James in the first place. In that situation that should be the only thing that Thibodeau should be worried about.

Thidodeau's words were pretty mild. There was no reason for the NBA to fine Thibodeau for things he said in the heat of the battle. Whether it's true or not there's the perception that the NBA wants certain teams to win. The NBA are probably sad there won't be a Lakers-Knicks NBA finals. But fans of team basketball are glad that won't be the finals. A Knicks-Lakers final would absolutely be of no interest to me. I already hear enough about the Lakers now. Hate or like the Heat, you can't argue with the fact that they are fun to watch play.

I don't get why the Knicks are so hyped by the NBA, why do the NBA want a team who relies so much on boring isolation plays to do well in the playoffs? Of all the teams left in the playoffs, is there a team more unlikable than the Knicks? How can you hate the Spurs, Thunder or Heat, three well run and professional teams. How can you hate either the Pacers or Grizzlies, two teams that barely get any coverage at all? Other than Carlos Boozer and Noah's nasty hair, how can you dislike the Bulls?

Other than New Yorkers, I don't see how anyone can cheer for the Knicks. While I have the utmost respect for Mike Woodson, his team isn't much fun to watch. The stand around and wait for Carmelo Anthony or J.R. Smith to jack up a wild shot offense is yawn inducing.

All I ask of the Heat-Bulls series is to not be as dreadfully boring as Game 3 of Knicks-Pacers. That game was a complete waste of my time. I wish I could have that two hours of my life back. I'm a bit embarrassed that I couldn't wait to watch that game.

3) One Chicago team I do cheer for is the Cubs, of course I picked the team that might be Chicago's worst team. I've followed the Cubs since the mid-80's when Harry Carey and Steve Stone were calling games on WGN. I spent many a lazy summer afternoon watching the Cubs back in the day. I saw those games even in Utah thanks to the then recent development of cable TV. Although cable packages have several more channels now we no longer have WGN available on our TV package.

Anyway the Cubs continue to be pathetic, honestly I expect a bit more in year 2 of Theo Epstein. This current Cubs team doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. The Cubs were able to win last night, beating the struggling Nationals 2-1 in Washington. With that win the Cubs improved to 15-22 but still are in last place in the NL Central. They trail the Cardinals by 8.5 games. The Cubs have won 2 games in a row, but only 4 of their last 10. The Cubs only have a 10.0% chance of making the playoffs.

It appears the Cubs continue to make moves to be better in the future. Thankfully it looks like Carlos Marmol is finally on the way out. I noticed that Marmol and his 5.14 ERA didn't attempt to close the game last night. Chicago needs to see if they can trade him. When no other team will take him, Chicago needs to cut Marmol. Let that terrible signing be a lesson moving forward. I'm glad that the Cubs have other options in closers. Kevin Gregg earned his sixth save of the year, Gregg has an ERA of 0.00. No personal offense to Marmol, I hope he accomplishes much in the rest of his life.

The Cubs agreed to a 7 year- $41 million contract with Anthony Rizzo yesterday. With signing Starlin Castro recently, that gives the Cubs two solid pieces to build around. Also ESPN is reporting that the Cubs may be interested in Jacoby Ellsbury in free agency. Ellsbury would be a nice addition to any team. However is Boston going to let him go and would he cost too much for the Cubs? I hope the Cubs are smarter in their personnel moves than teams like the Dodgers and Angels. The lesson is just because you can afford to make a move doesn't mean you should. Unless a miracle happens, LA will be paying for many of their personnel moves for the foreseeable future.

4) Last but not least, congrats to the great game that Chris Sale. Sale was a Mike Trout single away from a perfect game. He had to "settle" for a one hitter in the White Sox 3-0 victory. Sale is now 4-2 on the season with a 2.88 ERA.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites