Thursday, May 16, 2013

themusicaddict's Things I'm Not Writing About Today May 16th, 2013: The Inevitable Coronation of the Heat

Hello,

These are things that I definitely won't be writing about today.

Sports:

Although the NBA playoffs certainly have had highlights, they still feel like an inevitable coronation for the Heat. The Heat finished off the Bulls last night, winning 4 of the 5 games in the series. Miami lost the first game and struggled in the fifth game. I assign that struggle only to the Heat losing focus and being disinterested. The Bulls won the first game which focused the Heat's attention. Look at what the fully focused Heat did in game 2, they crushed the Bulls 115-78. The Heat next won a tight Game 3 before blowing out the Bulls in Game 4. Miami came home last night up 3-1. It was obvious that the Heat were the superior team. Again they didn't play with much interest, but it seems somewhere along the way they realized they didn't want to go back to Chicago. Miami turned on the jets and pulled out the win.

Although the Heat are my team throughout this playoffs I only watched about 1 minute of this game. I had little doubt that the Heat would prevail and even felt that way after Chicago won Game 1. This series was effectively over after Game 2.

Tonight is Game 5 of the Knicks-Pacers series. The Pacers are starting to get some grudging notice as they beat the Knicks. The Pacers are showing once again that a real team beats a collection of individual players. To call the Knicks a team is blasphemous to the concept of team. There's no I in J.R. Smith or Carmelo Anthony, but there should be. The Knicks have fallen apart so completely that they are no longer fun to make fun of. I would say the Knicks #1 off season need is someone that can actually shoot, they currently don't have a player like that on their roster.

Again who wins doesn't matter as the Heat will roll through either of these teams in 5 games, although they probably would have a bit more trouble with the multi faceted Pacers. Maybe the Heat will take a couple of games off against the Pacers in order to add some intrigue. The only intrigue of the Heat's series against the Bulls was when Miami lost the first game. That prevented a Heat sweep.

And as for the probable Western Conference Finals of Spurs- Grizzlies all I can say is yawn. Will that be the most boring conference finals ever? I have no rooting interest in that series and probably won't be watching a minute of it.

Again who wins doesn't matter as the Heat will roll through either one of these teams in 5 games on one of a teams easiest trips to being NBA champs ever.

As for my Red Wings, they were blasted by the Blackhawks last night 4-1. I think the Red Wings season is almost over.

Music:

I'm also disappointed by this new deal that some bands aren't allowing their songs to be on Spotify and other similar music services. This past Tuesday Vampire Weekend released their new much hyped CD "Modern Vampires of the City". However it's nowhere to be found on either Spotify or Rdio. I suggest that's a poor strategy. I rarely buy new music now unless I've heard the songs a few times. And if the songs are awful, then obviously I don't buy the CD. Record companies you need to up your game. I know your only concern is making money, but I suggest this strategy isn't helping you with that.

One CD that I just discovered, thanks to Spotify, is Halestorm's CD from last year. That's "The Strange Case of...". First of all that's an excellent CD and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes rock music. Not only that but because I was able to listen to the whole thing multiple times and like it, I'm much more likely to buy that CD than a CD I can't hear hardly anywhere. Honestly I'm not going to do the work to listen to all the new Vampire Weekend songs individually on Youtube.

I also recommend Halestorm's Covers CD: "ReAniMate: The CoVeRs eP".

When I heard that Fall Out Boy's new CD was named "Save Rock and Roll" I had to laugh to myself. How pathetic does rock and roll have to be for Fall Out Boy to think they can be able to save it? But thanks to my friends at Rdio.com, I listened to that CD a couple of times. I have to admit it's much better than I expected. Honestly that didn't take a whole lot.

"Save Rock and Roll" surprisingly isn't terrible and actually has some good songs. My only complaint is that the CD falls to the lowest common denominator phenomena. Again the swearing and sexuality isn't needed and in fact hurts the overall quality of the CD.

Here's a couple of my favorite songs from the CD, "The Phoenix":



"The Mighty Fall" is an example of  what I mean when I say lowest common denominator in songs. This is one of the best songs on the CD, but it's hurt by some stupid lyrics and an unneeded lame rapper. I realize the record company probably forces these bands to add these unneeded "singers" to their CDs in order to hopefully break those "singers". The Big Sean inclusion meets the definition of extraneous.



Although I've been tempted to write a blog about how bad rap music is now, I'm resisting that effort. (Although Drake's Marvin's Room" is awful in every sense of the word.) One of the good things about Rdio.com is they only have previews of certain songs. For instance "The Great Gatsby" soundtrack. I'm fine with with them only having 30 second previews of "100$ Bill" and "Back to Black". Both of which are not very good rap songs.

Although "The Great Gatsby" does have some great songs on it. I really like Fergie's "A Little Party Never Hurts Nobody (All We Got)":



I also like Emile Sande's version of "Crazy In Love" much more than Beyonce's version. Although I've never understood the whole Beyonce thing anyway. She can sing and is decent looking, but I'm not sure how she became such a big star:



And if you've been wondering what the song is that's in the preview for "The Great Gatsby", it's this song. Jack White's "Love Is Blindness":



TV:

The TV series "Under The Dome" is starting to get a lot of publicity as it will be on TV this summer. I'm a huge Stephen King fan and so I read this book. As with all of his books I read through it quickly, however "Under The Dome" wasn't one of his best books. Off the top of my head two of my favorite King books are "Christine" and "Pet Semetary". Please don't judge King's books by the movies made from them. The movies take away from how great most of King's writing is. Since the book was only decent I can't say I'll be watching "Under The Dome" this summer:



From the Letterman show, I thought this was hilarious:



Tonight is the season finale of "American Idol". Aren't you so excited? Yeah I hear you, either am I. Of course I'm being sarcastic, I haven't seen this show for the last 3 years. "American Idol" hasn't been relevant for years and I couldn't even tell you who the two finalists are this year. Even more damning, I couldn't care less. Can you name the last significant star that came from this show? For me that would probably be Daughtry.  If anything this show appears to be where stars go who are down on their luck, talking about some of the terrible judges. Although it does make me laugh that after "American Idol" was criticized for having so many young male winners, they've made sure this season that without a doubt they'll have a female winner. Too bad no one will remember her a year from now.

After 12 years though Randy "The Barnacle" Jackson is finally "quitting". At least that's the political correct thing being said. Also Nikki Minaj won't be back next season, I expect her period of relevance to be almost done. Were the judges the worst of any season ever this year? Mariah Carey was so bad that "Idol" tried to dump her midway through the season. Carey is one of the most gifted singers ever. But she's never been as attractive or cool as she thinks she is. It seems this season has exposed us to how shallow of a person she is.

I know Fox will never do this, but I suggest Fox announce that Season 13 will be the last season of this show. Further they should announce it will be an All-Star season. Anyone that has ever received a golden ticket would be invited back. They would get a chance to sing in front of the judges again and get a yes or no and go to Hollywood again. Then to inject some fresh blood, they could let people try out online. But only invite people that can actually sing, no more making fun of people.

Obviously people like Jennifer Hudson, Kat McPhee, Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry and the gorgeous Carrie Underwood wouldn't want to appear. Frankly those people don't need "Idol" any more. But I'd love to see many of the other former contestants come back to the show. I would love to see Megan Joy, Crystal Bowersox and many others once again.

Thankfully Randy Jackson won't be heard from again. But if Fox and he get really desperate they can start a new reality series called "America Idle". The cameras would follow Randy Jackson as he disappears from the public eye.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites