Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Ultimate Divorce Album: Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" (I Promise It Gets Better)

Hello,

Today marks another major anniversary in my life. Three years ago today my marriage officially ended. Losing my job was the final straw for my ex. That night she kicked me out and a little over two months later we were divorced. But this isn't a bitter hate my ex blog, so please don't worry. In fact, I believe the more you focus on your ex, the less you have healed. Of course if you share children, that means you'll probably always have some kind of connection. Whether you want that connection or not. Just have as much tolerance as possible. I promise you it gets better.

Looking back now it's clear that our marriage needed to end. My only regret about the divorce is that I wish it would have happened about 3 years earlier. But it didn't and I've learned to deal with that. This divorce was good for me, but it was also good for my ex. Also our kids have been troopers in dealing with divorce. I'm not saying it's been easy for them, but kids can be incredibly resilient. I promise you it gets better.

If you are going through a divorce, take it day by day, the first year following divorce is the hardest. I remember I realized I was healing when I thought about her only 95% of the time rather than 100% of the time. Once you get past that that rough first year, life will both be a lot easier and a lot better. I also recommend counseling to help you through this transition, whether you initiated the divorce or not. I found a great counselor who helped so much. Looking back I'm so glad I had an excellent counselor, I would be in a much worse place now if not for her. The help of a counselor's helps one break through the dark clouds. No matter how dark the clouds are I promise you that it gets better.

For the majority of this blog I'm featuring the 11 songs from Fleetwood Mac's legendary "Rumours". A CD that's very much about divorce and all sorts of relationship disharmony. Those are things that the members of Fleetwood Mac are well acquainted with. To this blog I'm adding another song that feels like it would fit perfectly on "Rumours". Before I forget, "Rumors" is available at iTunes for $7.99 at a limited time. (That's about half of the price if you were to buy the 11 songs individually.) Also you can listen to the expanded, 40 song edition of "Rumors" at Google All Access music. You get the original CD, live tracks and some early versions of those songs. Stevie Nicks had such an amazing voice.

To read about all the relationship issues the Mac were having preceding and during the recording of this CD, read this wikipedia.org page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumours

Here is "Rumours" in it's original track listing. I'm guessing that Fleetwood Mac worked through a lot of demons writing this very angry song "Second Hand News":



"Dreams":



"Never Going Back Again":



This song is great advice for those going through divorce or any difficult time at all. "Don't Stop":



"Go Your Own Way":





"Songbird":



Not only one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest songs ever, but one of the greatest songs ever! What an amazing song! "The Chain" (lyrics version):



It seems like Stevie and Lindsay still have some chemistry here. "The Chain" (Live):



"You Make Loving Fun":



"I Don't Wanna Know":



Probably the weakest link on "Rumours" and it doesn't feel like it fits in with the rest of the CD. However lyrically it fits right in with the other 10 songs. "Oh Daddy":



"Gold Dust Woman":



Here's the bonus song, a song that's right up there in all-time great hits along with "The Chain". This is "Landslide" (lyrics):



"Landside" (live)



Thanks Fleetwood Mac for such this classic CD. To all of those who are going through divorce, I promise it does get better. In fact, you get to a point that you wonder why it was ever hard in the first place.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites