Friday, May 3, 2013

You Want Some Great Sax, I Got Some Great Sax For You!

Hello,

As promised, here's some great songs where the saxophone plays a big part. I came up with this list through listening to music for the last 35 + years. I did some research on the internet since there's no original idea on there. I got some of these song ideas from Diggz.com and hollywoodreporter.com. Thanks to those sites for making this blog entry better.

I think the sax is an extremely versatile instrument. You can use the sax to add both sexiness or sadness to a song. The sax can also sound right at home in a fast or slow song. Also for a song to qualify for this blog a song and the sax have to both be great. All the songs below qualify.

The first song I think of when I think of great songs that features saxophones. The sax solo in this song is both sexy and sad. This is George Michael's "Careless Whisper":



In talking about this song with a friend once I talked about the song's sad/mournful sax solo. She replied aren't all sax solos sad/mournful? She may have a point there.

An overall great song, not just because of that sax solo:



When this song came out, it was about the time that the lovely Miss Houston started losing her voice. When she sang live she mixed up the arrangement and sort of half sung the song in order to hide that she was losing her voice. While "I Will Always Love You" is a great song, her live version around this time isn't very good. I love Miss Houston, but it's so sad to me that she never lived up to her full potential. Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You":



Two songs from Glenn Frey, featuring that mournful sax sound. First is "You Belong To The City":



"The One That You Love"



Tears For Fears "The Working Hour":



INXS loved the sax in their songs, here's are a few examples:

"What You Need":



"New Sensation":



Never Tear Us Apart":



"Beautiful Girl":



The sax makes a late appearance in "Original Sin":



Here's an example of a song with the sax at it's sexiest, Duran Duran's "Rio":



Madness' "One Step Beyond":



The Mighty Mighty Bosstones "The Impression I Get":



"Someday I Suppose":



Sade's "Smooth Operator":

"

"Born To Run" featuring Big Man, the great Clarence Clemons. R.I.P.



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites