Saturday, May 25, 2013

themusicaddict's Classic Pop Magazine Inspired Playlist & Beyond

Hello,

I want to state at the top of this blog that I have nothing to do with Classic Pop magazine. However the following playlist was inspired by the second Classic Pop magazine, the Jan/Feb 2013 issue. I picked it up on a whim around Christmas time and I'm just now reading it. The magazine is full of great memories for me, reminding me of some of the greatest songs of the 80s. Classic Pop magazine has their own Spotify playlists that you can check out. (If you don't have Spotify yet, what are you waiting for?)

Anyway inspired by that issue, here's some of my favorite songs from one of the most fertile eras of pop music. By the way if you want a quick sample of the great music of the 80s and don't want to put a lot of work into it check out the "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack. It has 10 amazing songs from some of the 80s greatest bands including INXS, The Smiths, New Order, Psychedelic Furs and OMD. I'm still a big fan of the movie too. Enjoy!

This is one of the amazing songs from the "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack. I'll start off with Echo and the Bunnymen's classic "Bring On The Dancing Horses":



Echo and the Bunnymen's "The Killing Moon":



One thing this Classic Pop issue reminded me of was the Eurythmics "1984" Soundtrack. Although if it wasn't for this magazine, I'm sure the "1984" soundtrack would have never entered my consciousness again. Also I was once again reminded if you can't find any music on any of the other music websites, go to youtube.com. Thanks to Youtube, the complete "1984" soundtrack:



When you think of the Eurythmics you probably think of "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of These), but I wanted to avoid the most obvious 80's songs for the most part. One of the funkiest, most rocking songs of all-time. "Would I Lie To You":



However for some bands, there's only one song that really stands out. Dexy's Midnight Runners is a much bigger band in England than in the USA. For me the only song I think of when I think of that band is the incredibly catchy "Come On Eileen":



Quite simply a perfect pop song: Bananarama's "Cruel Summer":



Thompson Twins "You Take Me Up":



Thompson Twins "King For A Day":



Another perfect slice of pop music, Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)" which later was almost completely ruined by Flo Rida.



Something from Dead or Alive not quite so obvious, but almost as good. "Something In My House":



Back in the day they were called Yaz, now they are known as Yazoo. The amazing Alison Moyet on vocals: "Situation":



Yazoo's "Only You":



The Human League's "Don't You Want Me":



Gary Numan's "Cars":



Madness "Our House":



Madness "One Step Beyond":



Howard Jones, or HoJo to his friends, and his classic "No One Is To Blame":



One of the most beautiful love songs ever. INXS "Never Tear Us Apart":



"Need You Tonight":



As with any genre, each seems to have their own one hit wonders. Here's a few, starting with "Total Coelo":



Felony's "The Fanatic":



"(Jukebox) Don't Put Another Dime"- The Flirts:



Fiction Factory's "Feels Like Heaven":



Fun Boy Three's "Lunatics Have Taken Over The Asylum":



The Waitresses "I Know What Boys Like":



Heaven 17's "(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing":



Icicle Works "Whisper To A Scream (Birds Fly)":



JoBoxers "Just Got Lucky";



Bow Wow Wow "I Want Candy":



OXO's "Whirly Girl":



Blondie definitely wasn't a one hit wonder. Going back a ways, but a great song from back in the day. In fact this was my favorite song while growing up. "Heart Of Glass":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites