Friday, March 5, 2010

"AI" Top 20 Girls Review, Results Show, James Morrison

Hello,

First I would just like to say that James Morrison is the man. He has two CD's and I discovered him thanks to "American Idol".I'd like to thank Alex Lambert and Andrew Garcia for singing his songs on "AI". Morrison can sing and has several good songs. Lambert sang "Wonderful World" and Garcia sang "You Give Me Something". Those are two of his best songs. Other great songs he has are "Under The Influence", "The Only Night", "You Make It Real" and "Please Don't Stop The Rain". My personal favorite song of his is "Once When I Was Little". Check him out, next time I get money I know which two of the first CDs I'll be buying.

Here's a review of Wednesday night's women's performances on "AI".

1) Crystal Bowersox sang Creedence Clearwater Revival's "As Long As I Can See The Light". I love her but I did not like her performance on this song. Although CCR is a great band, they have at least 10 better songs than this. After her complications from diabetes, the women were shifted to Wednesday for this week only. Take care of yourself Crystal as this competition desperately needs you. I think she's too unique for this show, I don't think she's going to win. She and Andrew Garcia are clearly the class of the remaining 16 contestants. Grade C-, Buy? No.

2) Haeley Vaughn sang Miley Cyrus' "The Climb", I think she sings it better than Miley does. Miley performed that same song on "AI" last year. As my non-hero Randy Jackson would say, "not good dawg". Miley can't sing! I hate to be the person who states out loud that the king is not wearing any clothes. The judges hated Vaughn's performance, but I liked it. Grade: B+, buy? No.

3) Lacey Brown sang Sixpence None The Richer's "Kiss Me". She was much better than last week. Last week she sang "Landslide", that was a self fulfilling prophecy. I liked her performance, but she has got to step it up. I think Top 16 week will be her last week, the other girls are just better. Grade B+, Buy? Maybe.

4) Katie Stevens sang Corrine Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On". (Quick review: I listened to part of the Rae CD with "Records" on it. That CD is terrible! Her version of "Put Your Records On" is also not very good, although it's a great song.) Stevens has such a great voice but she still hasn't lived up to her potential. It seems she might have peaked in Hollywood week. I thought she would be a contender, but maybe not. The judges urged her to sing a song by someone near her age. Taylor Swift would be a good choice. (Thanks to mrsmusicaddict for that idea.) Grade: B, Buy? Maybe.

5) Didi Benami sang a very dreary version of Bill Withers' "Lean On Me". This is the second week in a row that she has slowed down the tempo of a song and made a great song not very good. This song should be a happy upbeat song, it's not meant to be slowed down. Didi what happened to the women that has my #1 performance of "AI" Season 9? Where did the Didi go that sang "Terrified" so brilliantly in Hollywood? Ellen seems like she's taking over the Paula Abdul comforting judge. She said "I love your voice", Didi has a "great presence" and that she "tried to do something with it". Although she said those nice things, I take her meaning as that performance sucked. Grade: D, Buy? No way.

6) Michelle Delamor sang Creed's "With Arms Wide Open", yet another terrible arrangement. That song was stripped of all the big parts that makes that song great. I think Delamor is very attractive, has a good heart and a sparkly personality. However that arrangement was brutal. Her cover of Alicia Keys "Falling" last week was much better. Remaining "AI" contestants: I don't care what the judges say, play to your strengths. Grade D-, Buy? No!

7) Lilly Scott sang Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come", another one of the most over sung songs on "AI". Her version seemed like it went on forever. The judges were quite impressed, but I was not. Grade: D+, Buy? No.

8) Katelyn Epperly sang Coldplay's "The Scientist". Why do people keep on singing that song? I'd like to add Coldplay along with Jason Mraz and John Mayer to the list of musicians songs that should never be sung again. I just don't get why people keep on singing "The Scientist", it's not a good song. Again the judges liked her, but I thought she was brutal. Grade: F, Buy? No!

9) Paige Miles sang Kelly Clarkson's "Walk Away". Yet another great song Kara had a part in writing. Although Kara D. chided her for not singing it "angry" enough, she wrote it about a former boyfriend. The judges were fairly complimentary, other than Simon saying it was "forgettable, sorry". I like her but I think next week is her last week unless she really blows our socks off. Grade B+, Buy? maybe.

10) Sioban Magnus sang Aretha Franklin's "Think" and she killed it, in a good way. No Sioban I don't think anyone is surprised you use to have a Mohawk after seeing your questionable fashion sense. Randy had another one of his insightful critiques "alright yo" and "check it out" which he repeated three times. He then called her "bold and fearless". The judges absolutely loved her performance and so did I. I wouldn't mind her seeing win this season's title. Grade: A, Buy? I already did.

A quick review of Thursday nights results show where none of the results were shocking.

First another atrocious group performance where they were obviously lip syncing. As are most "AI" group performances that was brutal!

Next up were the men's results: Tim Urban continues to have 9 lives and he survives yet another weak. (I intentionally spelled that word that way.) Michael Lynche also continues his charmed run. I hope he realizes he's not going to win. Casey James is safe, as he should be as he gave us a blistering take on Gavin DeGraw's "I Don't Wanna Be". That song came with a fantastic guitar solo. Then the person who was sent home is out of Todrick Hall and John Park. John Park went home and serenaded us with that awful "Gravity" again. (No more John Mayer songs!).

Lee Dewyze, Aaron Kelly and Alex Lambert are all safe. Who's going home is down to Jermaine Sellers and Andrew Garcia. Please was there really any tension here? A contestant that has been horrible since his awesome audition and the best male singer in the competition. Jermaine then "serenaded" us with his horrid "What's Going On". I'm glad Marvin Gaye is dead, if not that version would have killed him.

Danny Gokey then sang, "My Best Days Are Ahead of Me". As much as I hate to say it, that song is pretty cool. Though I wish he would stop mentioning his dead wife every chance he gets.

Now on to the girls: Lilly Scott is safe as is Paige Miles and Katie Stevens. It's then down to Michelle Delamor and Didi Benami. Michelle Delamor is going home with her dreary version of "With Arms Wide Open".

Katelyn Epperly moves on and Crystal Bowersox and Sioban Magnus also moves on. It's then down to who's going home between Lacey Brown and Haeley Vaughn. Either one of them could have gone home, that would have been fine with me. Then again Haeley took the stage to sing "The Climb". Did you notice any similarities of all the people that were sent home? They were all people of color. Of the 16 remaining contestants there are only 4 people of color remaining.

On Sunday my new Top 24 will be unveiled. This week there will be a new #1, not only that but this person is a guy.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites