Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"American Idol" Top 11

Hello,

"American Idol" Top 11 with Miley Cyrus as "mentor". I thought she was okay, but I'm not convinced she was an appropriate choice for mentor. Why was Miley wearing such an ugly outfit to the mentoring sessions. I'm not sure that Miley can sing, but I love her speaking voice. A good mentor would be Sarah Brightman, Barbara Streisand, someone who has lived a little.

I hate how the announcer announces the judges as they walk to their seats. At least they aren't holding hands like they did last year. What's up with Simon and Kara and their constant flirting, she gave him the flirty push last night. I wonder what her husband thinks about that.

1) Lee Dewwyze sang the Boxtops "The Letter". I liked his version of this song and thought it was one of his better performances of the season. He's actually trying to exhibit a little personality. I love the addition of the horns. All the judges but Simon liked his performance. I loved Ellen's favorite pen analogy. Kara is absolutely right that he has made a tremendous amount of progress. Grade B+, buy? maybe.

2) Paige Miles sang Phil Collins "Against All Odds". I like his version much better than the Westlife/ Mariah Carey version. (That reminds me of another great song from a movie that came out in the 80's. Yes, the movie was called "White Knights". The song is Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin's "Separate Lives".) First of all I thought Paige looked fantastic. Overall she had a very good performance. The judges on the other hand were brutal. Simon said she's in "serious, serious trouble". I think Andrew might be the one who is in the most trouble. What do I know though? Grade B+, buy? possibly.

3) Tim Urban sang Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". A great song but he didn't do it any favors. It just wasn't good. I have no idea why he's still in this competition. He's got the tween vote it seems, he's probably not in any danger for at least a couple of weeks. Although I do agree with Simon when he said, he has "O% chance of winning right now." In fact the only way I think he will win is if the other 10 die or drop out. Grade: C+, buy? are you kidding?

4) Aaron Kelly sang Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing", one of the corniest songs of all-time. It's also from one of the worst movies of all-time "Armageddon". I thought he did a good job. I don't know how well he'd do with upbeat songs, but he certainly sings ballads pretty well. Simon said there's "0 percent chance that he'll go home". He's probably has a few million tweens voting for him. Grade: B-, Buy? no.

5) Crystal Bowersox sang Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee". This song has one of my favorite lyrics of all-time: "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose". Another great but not spectacular performance. I keep on expecting a bit more from her, although she clearly is the best now. The judges loved her. Randy said "that's what you call being a star". Grade B, buy? no.

6) Michael Lynche sang Percy Sledge's "When A Man Loves A Woman". I thought he didn't sing this song with enough passion. That's definitely a song that you should sing with all your heart. I agree with Kara on two of her comments. Those being, that's it "technically very good" and "boring and indulgent". Ellen was very funny when she said it was a "safe choice" like "driving the speed limit". Grade: B-, buy? No.

7) Andrew Garcia sang Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". (Yeah, I know what most of you are thinking, "hey that's the song from the Fruit of the Loom commercials.) First of all dude you seriously need to get new glasses. Your glasses are very ugly. Miley had him lose his guitar, but I don't know how much that helped. Simon said maybe he was overrated when he sang "Straight Up". He also said Garcia "sucked the soul out of that song". Grade: B, buy? no.

8) Katie Stevens sang Fergie's excellent "Big Girls Don't Cry". That's a truly great song. Randy was glad she listened to the judges and acted younger. Simon doubt led her believe ability. Grade B-, buy? no.

9) Casey James sang a less than exciting cover of Huey Lewis and the News "The Power of Love". That truly is one of the greatest songs of all-time. Ellen called it "the best vocal of the night". Simon said he sang the song with "no originality" and "no effort" and he's absolutely right. Why did he have the guitar if he's barely going to play it? Grade C+, buy? no.

10) Didi Benami sang Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good". I like her voice, she looks great and her make up was perfect. I'm usually not a big fan of make up, but it enhanced her to her full beauty. She truly is very attractive. This was my favorite performance of the night, I liked the passion she sang it with. It's like she had someone in mind and was singing to them as she was singing the song. Grade: A, buy? maybe.

11) Sioban Magnus sang Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". She had ugly hair, it looked sort of Adam Lambertish and I don't mean that as a compliment. She should have kept the same hair she had last week. Stevie Wonder is the man, but Magnus version of that song was a little less than inspiring. Miley told her to bring "swagger", but I don't think she brought enough. Grade: B-, buy? no.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites