Tuesday, March 2, 2010

February 28th, 2010 #'s 9-1

Hello,

I can't believe they've already sent these next two home.

9) Ashley Rodriguez (last week: 9) sang Leona Lewis' "Happy" (B). She sounded good, but she picked a very boring song to sing. Even though she was eliminated last week, I just didn't see anyone I think should pass her. The depth of talent this season is not very good. There are only 7 singers with a realistic chance of winning, with maybe a couple of others having a slim chance. Her highlights include "Battlefield" and "If I Ain't Got You" (5.0).

8) Janell Wheeler (last week: 8) sang Heart's "What About Love" (C+). This is one of the 5 songs from "AI" contestants I bought last week. I bought songs from 4 girls and 1 guy. I know she was a little shaky, but she would've became better if given more time. Other highlights: "House of the Rising Sun", "American Boy" and "Love Story". I'm working on my Top 10 performances so far this season by this year's contestants. I have picked 30 performances so far, up to Wednesday, February 24th. Janell Wheeler is one of two singers who has multiple songs on that Top 30.

The real contenders:

7) Didi Benami (last week: 2) sang Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am" (B-). That B- was a courtesy grade based on excellent past performances. Kimberly Kerbow sang the same song earlier in the competition and did it much better. Benami slowed down the arrangement too much. That turned a happy song into a dreary song. Highlights: "Hey Jude" and "Terrified", "Terrified" is still one of the Top 10 performances of this season. Chance of winning: 25%

6) Sioban Magnus (last week: 17) sang Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". A cool but a weird song choice. Her voice sounded fantastic on this song. She mainly moves this high because of so many other weak performances by her competition. Highlights: "Bad Romance" and "Living for the City", another one of the Top 10 performances of the season. Chance of winning: 10%.

5) Katie Stevens (last week: 3) sang "Feelin' Good" (B+). She needs to raise her game and sing something a lot more contemporary this week. I gave this performance such a good grade mainly for her voice. This is another one of the 5 performances from Week 1 I bought from iTunes. Highlights: "At Last" and "For Once In My Life". Since she seems to be a producer favorite, she got the girls pimp spot last week, and a judges favorite I think she could win the whole thing. Kara already has said she could win. Chances of winning: 50%.

4) Michelle Delamor (last week: 18) sang an awesome version of Alicia Keys "Falling" (A-). She finally received some significant screen time and took full advantage. Another highlight: "Chain of Fools". Chances of winning: 25%.

3) Katelyn Epperly (last week: 22) surprised with an awesome version of The Beatles' "Oh Darlin" (B+). She made a name for herself with that performance. This is the third of five performances I bought. Other highlight: "Syrup and Honey". Chances of winning: 15%.

2) Andrew Garcia (last week: 7) sang Fall Out Boy's "Sugar Were Goin' Down" (A). The judges were mixed on his performance, but I liked it. That's especially on such a weak night. (Last week the men were awful). This is the only performance by a man that I bought. Other highlights: "Sunday Morning" and an awesome "Straight Up". (5.0)

1) Crystal Bowersox (last week: 1) sang Alanis Morrissette's "Hand In My Pocket" (B+). That grade is mainly due to her many excellent performances so far. I would rate "Pocket" her fourth best performance of this season. Because I love her voice so much, I did buy this song also. I hope she's a lot better tonight though. Other highlights: "Piece of My Heart", "If It Makes You Happy" and "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman". She's the only performer on this list who has three songs on my Top 30 Season 9 best performances list. Chance of winning: 50%

Coming tomorrow: approximately my Top 10 performances so far this season.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites