Monday, March 1, 2010

February 28th, 2010 #'s 30-10

Hello,

This is my Top 30 following the Top 24 this past week. The first set of parenthesis is where they were in my Top 30 last week. The second set of parenthesis is my grade for their performance this past week.

The dregs of the dregs: disappointments and people who shouldn't have made it this far.

30) Tim Urban (debut) sang One Republic's "Apologize" (D-). After that he should've apologized. He should show his true sorrow by not "singing" this week. Tim apologize to One Republic, "American Idol" and anyone that can hear. Other highlights: none

29) Alex Lambert (debut) sang James Morrison's "What A Wonderful World" (C-). A song I had never heard and a singer I know very little bit about. (Although I do know this isn't the former lead singer of The Doors. I listened to both of his CDs on Napster and Morrison is pretty good.) A relative highlight, his "Sunday Morning" in Hollywood.

28) John Park (last week: 28) sang Billie Holiday's "God Bless The Child" (D-). Simply put it was an unmitigated disaster. Michael Lynche may survive another week, just on the basis of the weakness of the men this year like Park. His highlight: his audition of Blood, Sweat and Tears "I'll Love You More Than You Know". The audition where Shania Twain was very impressed by him. In his interview package he said he wants to marry Shania Twain, what red blooded American male doesn't?

27) Jermaine Sellers (last week: 21) sang/tortured Oleta Adams "Get Here". Adams' version of this song is probably one of the all-time great songs. The same thing can't be said about Sellers' version. For the third straight week he has dropped in my Top 30. Another one of the many men who aren't very good. Due to such a weak men's group Andrew Garcia, Aaron Kelly, Casey James and maybe Lee Dewyze will probably be safe until the Top 12.

The higher quality dregs (except for Angela Martin and Seth Rollins):

26) Seth Rollins (last week: 23) sang Frank Sinatra's "Someone To Watch Over Me" with so much vocal ability. He only made it about halfway through Hollywood. I'd rather have him in the competition than either Alex or Adam Lambert, Tim Urban, Michael Lynche and the recently departed Joe Munoz. Other highlights: none but unfortunately we didn't see enough of him to see if he had any more.

25) Angela Martin (last week: 27) didn't make the Top 24. She's probably still having nightmares of Kara saying, "I'll remember you". She's better than at least half of the men that made it into the Top 24. Highlights: "American Boy" and "Just Fine".

24) Joe Munoz (debut) sang Jason Mraz's boring "You and I Both" (D). I liked his voice but that song is so boring. Idols please do not sing Mraz's songs, they for the most part are dull. Other highlights: none.

23) Michael Lynche (last week: 25) sang Maroon 5's "This Love" (D+). This is such an amazing song as performed by Maroon 5, not so much by Lynche. He's only this high due to so many bad men singers and better people being eliminated. His relative highlights: "Waiting For The World To Change" and "Unchained Melody".

People that have had highlights, but almost assuredly won't win.
22) Mallory Haley (last week: 19). After her awesome take on Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" in auditions she continues to drop in my Top 30. I didn't see her at all in Hollywood.

21) Haeley Vaughn (last week: 8) a dreadful, slowed down version of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" (D-). In spite of an infectious personality, this is where her youth starts to show. Haeley you must raise your game a lot as the girls are a lot better than the guys. She's in danger of going home from this week on. She needs to go back to the poppy country genre, that's her strength. Highlights: "Last Name" and "Change".

20) Luke Shaffer (last week: 16). He had an amazing audition with Secondhand Serenade's "Fall For You". He was incredible with that audition and then disappeared.

19) Tasha Layton (last week: 11). She's the second highest person in my Top 30 that's not in the "American Idol" Top 20. Highlights: "Baby, Baby, Baby", I wish we would have heard more of her singing of "The Scientist" in Hollywood. Tasha keep on trying to break in the industry, you have a lot going for you.

18) Hope Johnson (last week: 10). The highest person in my Top 30 no longer in the competition. She was eliminated about midway through Hollywood. Her audition take on "I Hope You Dance" was amazing, 5.0. I also liked her "Home".

Extreme long shots to win:

17) Lilly Scott (last week: 12). She sang the Beatles "Fixin' A Hole" (D), a very disappointing performance after being an early favorite of my mine. Highlight: "Lullaby of Birdland".

16) Lacey Brown (last week: 14). She sang a far inferior version of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" (C-, a grade that seems generous now). Fleetwood Mac's original version, sung by the amazing Stevie Nicks, is much better. Highlights: "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and a 5.0 take on "What A Wonderful World".

15) Tyler Grady (last week: 15) sang the Guess Who's "American Woman" (C-). In spite of being eliminated this past week, he was one of my favorites in the men's Top 12). I liked his vibe. Other highlights: "Let's Get It On" and "Home".

14) Paige Miles (last week: 30) sang Free's "All Right Now" (C). She has a nice husky voice but that doesn't seem like a song that fits her. Other highlights: none.
We've hardly seen her. She might last 1 or 2 more weeks.

More likely to win:

13) Casey James (last week: 13) sang Bryan Adams' "Heaven" (D-). A song that I like, but it just didn't feel right when he was singing it Wednesday night. I know the judges mostly liked him, but he needs to do much better than that to have a chance in this competition. Other highlights: "I Don't Need No Doctor" and "Bubbly".

12) Aaron Kelly (debut) sang Rascal Flatts' "Here Comes Goodbye" (A). I wasn't expecting much of him, but I thought he did pretty good with this song. He has forgotten the lyrics twice so far, he needs to watch out for that. I'm still not convinced he's not a lightweight and this year's Kris Allen. (Kris Allen's "Let It Be" Thursday night sucked- again how did he win?) Other highlights: none.

11) Lee Dewyze (last week: 5) sang Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" (D-). Another person I like but I hated his performance of this song. I'm not sure why this song is popular. I'd be very surprised if someone outside of my Top 7 wins this season, other than Aaron Kelly. Lee you probably have two or three more weeks of safety, but you have to raise your game to be a legitimate contender. You don't want to go back to the paint store, do you? Highlights: "Ain't No Sunshine" and his brief snippet on "Get Ready" in the Hollywood group round.

10) Todrick Hall (last week: 4) sang/twisted up Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone" (C+). Another performer that needs to raise his game. Although his version was creative, I think his cockiness is catching up with him. Highlights: his "AI" song and one of the least boring versions of "I'm Yours" in Hollywood week.

Part 2 tomorrow, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites