Thursday, March 11, 2010

Top 16 Week on "AI" Top 8 girls

Hello,

After three blogs about my upcoming divorce, the only crying in this blog will be that of Didi Benami.

1) Katie Stevens sang Kelly Clarkson's "Break Away". I thought she did a good job, but I'm not exactly partial. I've had a soft spot in my heart for her since Hollywood although I still don't think she has lived up to her potential yet. I liked her performance but agree with the judges she needs to raise her game if she makes it into the Top 12. Randy said she "paled in comparison" to the original singer. Hello Randy most female singers would pale in comparison to Kelly Clarkson and that big voice she has. I thought Katie Stevens was a lock for the Top 12, now I'm not so sure. Grade B+, Buy: No.

2) Sioban Magnus sang the Animals "The House of the Rising Sun". First of all I preferred Janeel Wheeler's version of this song. Magnus has a good voice but I wasn't enamored of this performance. She started singing it, the first part was acapella and then she perked the song up. Simon is so rich he continues to make up words. Last week he said he misunderestimated a contestant. To Sioban he was "underimpressed" Huh? And for all that is pure and holy in the world will someone tell the man what a binky is. I still think Magnus will make the top 12 and is still one of my favorite contestants. Grade D+, buy? no.

Simon this is a binky, they are also called pacifiers. They are usually given to babies or spoiled reality TV judges to calm down.



3) Lacey Brown sang Brandi Carlisle's "The Story". I love that song and think Lacey did a half-decent job with it. She's a little bit of a comeback kid, but will it be enough? I think she may be going home this week. The judges were pretty impressed with her. She made the Top 50 last year, how far will she go this year. Grade B-, buy? maybe.

Of course Lacey was bumped last year by the incredibly gorgeous Megan Joy!



4) Katelyn Epperly sang Carole King's "I Can Feel The Earth Move". This is a great song, but she took the fun out of it. This performance was a big disappointment. The judges were lukewarm at best. I agree with Kara for once when she said that Katelyn was "going through the motions". I still think Katelyn will easily make the Top 12, she desperately needs to go back to similar performances like her "Oh Darlin". Grade: C-, Buy? no. Unfortunately this video doesn't do justice to her performance.



5) Didi Benami sang a very boring version of Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon". This has been the second time in the live round that someone hasn't done a Fleetwood Mac song very well. Maybe stay away from the Fleetwood Mac songs in the future. That's unless Steve Nicks et al is a mentor. However the judges have a different opinion than me. They all seemed to be quite impressed. In fact Ellen said, "yes indeedy DiDi". Kara called it "one of my favorite moments of this season". Also Didi did some crying, but these were mostly tears of joy. She should be around for the Top 12. Grade C-, buy? no.

6) Paige Miles sang the Charlie Chaplin written and Michael Jackson sung "Smile". Please people stop singing this boring song. As the judges say it's all about song selection, and Paige flubbed it. This is Paige's last page of her "AI" journey. She almost certainly will be going home this week. The only way she's going to make the Top 12 is if two of the other ladies drop out. Grade: D-, Buy? are you kidding I wouldn't even buy Micheal Jackson's version.

7) Crystal Bowersox sang Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Good Reason". She played the electric guitar on this song. Randy said he's "a fan". Who isn't Randy. I think she stands head and shoulders above all the other competitors. She's as close to being a shoo in for the Top 12 as anyone in this competition. Simon called her "the one that everyone has to beat". Grade: B, Buy: maybe.

8) Lilly Scott then sang Patsy Cline's "Fall To Pieces" as she sort of played the mandolin. I thought her voice sounded great on this song. This is the perfect sort of song for her to sing. This fits right in with her vibe. Kara said she "made Patsy Cline feel current". I think she should make the Top 12. Grade: B, buy? probably not.

Coming tomorrow the guys review, I'll have to say I thought the guys were better this week than last week. I was very surprised by that.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites